Subject: TeX font sampler
To: ramshaw, cooper
Cc: stolfi

-------

In case you are interested, here are the macros I used to print the
font sampler sheets I showed you yesterday:

1. ~stolfi/tex/fontestfmt.tex, .fmt

     A format file that defines (among others) the folowing macros

         \showfont XXXXX scaled MMMM {COMMENTS}
	     Prints a font table for font XXXXX magnified MMMM.
	     The COMMENTS are printed (in roman font) at the bottom of
	     the first page. The braces should be there even if the
             COMMENTS field is empty.

         \testfont XXXXX scaled MMMM {TTTTTTTT}
	     Prints the sample text TTTTTTTT using the given font.
	     
         \eightbittrue, \eightbitfalse
	     Request/supress the upper half of the font table printed by
	     \showfont (characters '128 --- '255). Standard TeX fonts
	     have no glyphs in those positions, so the default is
	     \eightbitfalse.

	 \longtext, \shorttext, \mathtext, \captext, \veryshorttext
	     Canned sample texts for use with \testfont.

2. ~stolfi/tex/show/XXXXX.tex

     Here XXXXX is a font name, like ambx10, aminch, etc. (there are 63
     of them, all the fonts currently in /usr/local/fonts/pixel/).
     Each is a TeX source file that generates a font table for font
     XXXXX in a suitable magnification, and also sample texts
     for all magnifications of font XXXXX.
     
     To use these files, say

         lewis 10>virtex \&/mnt/stolfi/tex/fontestfmt ~stolfi/tex/show/XXXXX
	 lewis 11>printdvi XXXXX.dvi 
	 lewis 12>rm XXXXX.dvi XXXXX.log

     and -- presto! -- a font table and sample texts for font XXXXX
     will be printed in the imagen. Caution: each sample sheet (3 pages)
     takes only a few seconds to generate, but the dvi file
     is some 20 KB long, so beware of disk hogging.

     The show/XXXXX files were generated semi-automatically from the ls output,
     and some of them have problems. The bugs I have noted so far are

     1. Some files ask for more distinct magnifications that the imagen
        can handle in a single job. I split amr10 in two files
	(show/amr10 and show/amr10X), and it worked; same for
	lasy10. But other fonts remain to be fixed.

     2. Some files ask for magnifications that are 1 off from the
        magnifications that we actually have (note that when you ask
	for magnification X you get magnification 1.5X, and
	the rounding seems a bit inconsistent). To get some
        diagnostics (but no printout), say

	   lewis 11>dvi-imagen -d XXXXX.dvi
	
        instead of printdvi XXXXX.dvi.

     3. The text samples for some fonts are inappropriate.

     The file ~/stolfi/tex/makeshowfonts.cmds is a csh script that
     I used to create all the ~stolfi/tex/show/XXXXX.tex files. If
     you want to do systematic changes in all or many of the 
     show/XXXXX.tex files, you may want to change this file and
     execute it again.

Enjoy (he, he, he)

jorge