Subject: Re: [Voynich] Hello there, and VMS meeting
From: Jacques Guy <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 19:30:23 +1000

Salut Jorge,

> The best
>thing would be if most of the people coming to the workshop could give
>other "serious" lectures at Unicamp (and/or at other universities in
>the State), before or after the workshop, as a "byproduct". Say, you
>could give a lecture on rongorongo or polynesian linguistics

Rongorongo. I am fairly advanced now. I sent you my paper entitled
"Properties of the Rongonrongo Script", didn't I?

Did I tell you that I was contacted by someone who had bought a
tablet in Easter Island 20 years ago and was asking me what it
was worth?  I had a look at the detailed photos I was sent, 
fully expecting the usual stuff, fakes for tourists. Surprise...
the signs on it seemed to have the combinationatorial properties
of the genuine tablets, which I had explained in my paper. It cannot
be authentic, of course, but it could be a copy of a copy of a
copy of a genuine tablet, now lost. After, that what most
manuscripts of Antiquity are: copies of copies of ....
Which is leading me into the question of textual criticism
applied to texts in unknown languages.

I could also talk about data mining. 

>Of course, in your case we would have to finesse the Pirahã controversy
>somehow

What, Pirahã? No, ichthyology and Amazonian fishes are not within
my competence :-)  you see what I mean?

>In your last message, you seemed interested in coming to Brazil. 

Oh, it's just someone I met I forgot where who said Brazil might
be a good place to go and retire (as long as you don't settle in
Cidade de Deus I expect).

>Well,
>here is an half-invitation. What do you think? Should we try to make
>it whole?

Oh yes, by all means! Yes!

Ate logo!